Left untreated, tooth pain can take over your life. A root canal treatment is one of the best ways to get rid of the pain while keeping your natural teeth, but the cost can be a major deterrent for many people. At Kriebel Dental, our U.S.-trained and U.S.-educated dentists offer affordable root canal treatments in beautiful Costa Rica. Not only will you be saving money on top -of-the-line dental care, but you will have access to all the beauty and amenities that Costa Rica has to offer.
Endodontics is the dental specialty that focuses on diagnosing and treating problems with the “dental pulp,” or the soft tissue and nerves found inside of every tooth. Dental pulp goes from the crown of the tooth to the root. A deep cavity or tooth injury can cause bacteria to get into the pulp, leading to inflammation, a dental abscess, and tooth pain.
A root canal treatment is an endodontic treatment. During a root canal treatment, your Kriebel Dental endodontist removes the infected or inflamed dental pulp inside the pulp chamber and root canal. The root canal and pulp chamber is then filled and sealed off with a filling or crown.
A root canal treatment, unlike a tooth extraction (removal), treats tooth pain and prevents further damage but still allows you to keep your natural tooth and appearance.
Left untreated, the infected dental pulp can cause severe tooth pain and may lead to the development of an abscess, or an infection on the bone surrounding your teeth.
This can lead to:
- reduced chewing efficiency
- excess strain and wear on other teeth
- difficulty doing daily tasks because of pain
- spread of the infection to other parts of the head and neck
- permanent damage or bone loss in the jaw
- having a visibly chipped or cracked tooth
- severe pain while biting or chewing
- sensitivity to hot and cold that continues even after the stimulus is removed
- swollen or tender gums
- darkening of the gums
- pimples on the gums
Root canal treatments at Kriebel Dental usually involve the following steps:
1. Our endodontist will examine your teeth and take x-rays to map out a treatment plan.
2. You will receive a shot of local anesthetic to numb your tooth and prevent you from feeling pain during the procedure. Then, we will use a dental dam to isolate the tooth and prevent saliva from getting in during the procedure.
3. A small opening is made in the crown of the infected tooth. Using small, precise instruments, our endodontist cleans out the infected or inflamed pulp from the pulp chamber and root canal.
4. Once cleaned and shaped, the root canal and pulp chamber are filled with a rubber-like material that completely seals off the root canal. A temporary filling is placed over the opening of the crown.
5. You may need to return to get a crown put in place of the filling. The crown acts to completely seal off the filled tooth and provides additional strength and structure. This is especially important for root canal treatment performed on molars or premolars since these teeth carry the majority of occlusal load when chewing.
The whole root canal treatment process usually takes 1 or 2 appointments. Recovery time is usually a few days
Many people worry that root canal therapy will be painful, but this isn’t the case. So long as you receive the right amount of local anesthetic, you shouldn’t feel any pain. And once the procedure is complete, your tooth pain will be gone entirely.
Root canal therapy is a highly effective way to treat a tooth infection while preserving your natural tooth and bite alignment. However, the cost of a root canal treatment can be a barrier for many. Root canal treatment cost varies widely, depending on the complexity of the case, the location of the tooth being treated, where the treatment takes place, and your insurance coverage. In general, the average cost of a root canal treatment ranges from $700-$1500, and the average cost of a crown ranges from $800-$2,000.
You don’t need to be intimidated by the high cost of a root canal treatment. At Kriebel Dental, we offer the highest quality endodontics services at affordable prices – in beautiful San Jose, Costa Rica.
Treatment at Kriebel Dental is as much as 70% less expensive than the same treatment in the US. Our team of U.S.-trained and U.S.-educated dentists will work with you to create a treatment plan that fits your needs. We never compromise on quality. If you are interested in learning more about getting affordable root canal treatment at Kriebel Dental, please call or email us. We will walk you through the process, answer any questions you have, and start planning your perfect smile.